Badger cull protesters to continue their work
PROTESTERS against the badger cull in Gloucestershire will continue their work when the cull is expected to finish next week.
Hundreds of people have been out in west Gloucestershire over the past five weeks trying to stop the cull.
Drew Pratten, from Stop the Cull group, has seen more than 1,500 people on patrol every night, thwarting the shooters.
They stay in hidden locations throughout the cull zones, replacing baits at badger setts with animal repellents and using torches to keep marksmen away.
Enjoy a 20% saving on a course of 4 St. Tropez spray tan sessions, now only £80.
Terms: Complimentary glass of champagne on arrival. Earlier and later appointments available upon request
Contact: 01242 504889
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
He said: “We will keep going. We are going to start monitoring badger setts to ensure the population improves, and we also want to help other groups around the country who want to oppose the badger cull.”
Gloucestershire Against Badger Shooting (GABS) group has been organising wounded badger patrols every night, with more than 350 signing up.
They stick to public footpaths to rescue injured badgers, sticking to legal guidelines.
But with the cull expected to end next week, their patrols will come to an end.
A spokeswoman for GABS, who helped organise the patrols, said: “We wanted to be out there looking for the wounded animals, and we have done that really well.
“The outcome is that we’ve seen a lot of people who care about the badgers and the countryside.
“Although the wounded badger patrols will come to an end, I have met many incredible people and made many new friends.
“We have been overwhelmed with the wealth of support.”
Meanwhile, a shooter who left live bullets in Tirley last week has been struck off the list of approved marksmen.
A spokesman for Natural England said: “The police have amended his firearms certificate so he can no longer use a rifle. Natural England has removed him from the list of approved persons..”