Don't believe the Cheltenham white van man child abduction rumours
Rumours circulating on Twitter and Facebook about an attempted child abduction in Cheltenham are not true police said today.
Concerned parents have been posting warnings on social media about an incident in Norfolk Avenue Cheltenham in which a man in a white van tried to snatch a six-year-old girl.
But the story is not true police confirmed today.
Sergeant for the area, Mark Stephens, said: "We’re aware of rumours circulating on social media sites about an “attempted abduction” in Norfolk Avenue in Cheltenham and we are happy to clarify the facts of the incident.”
At approximately 7.30pm on Friday, September 6, a parent called the police after her six-year-old daughter came home extremely upset after playing outside and claimed that a man in a white van had grabbed her.
She soon admitted to her mum that she had not been touched and that a man hadn’t approached her.
It’s believed the little girl had been scared after either running across the road in front of the van, or by the way the vehicle was driven. The driver did not get out the car, did not speak to and did not touch the child.
“We understand that it's easy to be caught up in rumours and our officers are happy to clarify the situation but do ask that people don't listen to speculation but do listen to the facts,” added Sergeant Stephens.
“The public can feel confident that if there should be an incident of this nature in the area we would alert the public via the press and the information would also appear on our website, Facebook page and Twitter account.”