The Entertainer Top 20 toys for Christmas 2013
It may still be more than two months until Christmas, but parents and children won’t be surprised to hear that the shops are already full of the must-have toys for the big day this year.
The Entertainer has released its own list of the top toys this Christmas, and the Echo’s Callum Chaplin spoke to Matt Thomas, the assistant manager at the Cheltenham branch, to hear his views on the line-up.
THIS year’s list of The Entertainer’s top toys for Christmas includes everything from child-friendly tablet computers to traditional boardgames.
Technology treats such as the Leappad Ultra and the Vtech InnoTab 3 tablets sit side-by-side with Monopoly Empire, a modern twist on the game which has been entertaining children and families for decades.
Traditional Shave, Facial Treatment, Whisky and a Shoe Shine -...View details
Gents, enjoy a traditional shave, facial treatment, glass of whisky and a shoeshine for £31
Terms: Early and later appointments available upon request.
Contact: 01242 504887
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
The UK toy industry was valued at £2.94 billion at the start of the year – the biggest in Europe – and Matt Thomas suggested this was thanks to the country’s adaptation to modern trends.
The best-selling toy in Europe last year was the V Tech InnoTab tablet, and Matt believes the child-friendly tablets were likely to be this year’s best sellers once again.
“The tablets are selling well already” he said, referring to the Leappad Ultra and the Innotab 3.
Commenting on the mixture of both traditional and modern toys on the list, Matt suggested that young children would now consider the tablets to be a traditional toy.
He said: “This generation of children haven’t known a time before iPads and laptops, so these modern toys would seem traditional to them.
“Some of them run the Android operating system which makes them easy for kids to latch onto.”
Whilst the technology-based toys are set to steal the lion’s share of the sales this year once again, Matt insisted that the traditional toys would not be forgotten.
He said: “Monopoly has brought out something new and innovative with Monopoly Empire, using popular brands such as ‘XBOX’ instead of London residencies, aimed to engage a younger generation.”
Mr Thomas’ picks for the most popular boys and girls toys also went down the traditional route.
His predicted best-selling boys’ toy was the Nerf Elite RapidStrike CS-18 while for girls it was the Doc McStuffin Doctor Bag Set.
1. Doc McStuffin Doctor Bag Set – Flair Leisure Products. Doctor’s bag play set for kids. £20
2. Leappad Ultra – Leapfrog Toys. Kid-tough tablet with multiple applications including video making, drawing, and snap photos. £119.99
3. Lalaloopsy Loopy Hair – MGA Entertainment UK. Doll with loopy hair that can be curled, braided, brushed and styled. £34.99
4. Monster University Sulley Mask – Spinmaster. Monster mask with facial expressions controlled by the user. £25
5. Turtles Flingerz – Flair Leisure Products. Disc and pizza throwing Ninja Turtle figures. £15
6. Nerf Elite RapidStrike CS-18 – Hasbro. Rapid-fire dart gun. £39.99
7. Air Hog Atmosphere – Spinmaster. Levitating sphere that requires no remote. £25
8. Hexbug Nano V2 Black Hole Set – Innovation First. Wind-powered tube system. £39.99
9. Silly Moo – John Adams. Milk a toy cow to win points. £23
10. Innotab 3 – Vtech Electronics. Children’s multi-media tablet featuring 2MP camera, wi-fi, media player, e-books, and other apps. £69.99
11. How to Train Your Dragon Nightstrike – Spinmaster. Fire-breathing toy dragon with wings. £34.99
12. Twister Rave Dance – Hasbro. Dancing game complete with speakers, music and LED lights. £29.99
13. Mr Tumble Talking Plush – Golden Bear Products LTD. Soft toy that says fun phrases when its tummy is pressed. £10
14. Flutterbye Flying Fairy – Spinmaster. Pink flying fairy guided by your hands. £34.99
15. Star Wars Ultimate Darth Vader – Hasbro. 13 inch tall action figure with helmet and armour accessories, sound effects and Lightsaber. £25
16. Battroborg Arena Pack – Tomy UK Co LTD. Motion-controlled battling robots. £69.99
17. Logo Billionaire Game – Drumond Park LTD. Fast-paced business and brand based family board game. £25
18. Monopoly Empire – Hasbro. Monopoly but with a modern twist, using popular brands as properties. £20
19. Power Rangers Mega Force Deluxe Megazord – Bandai. Action figures with cards. £34.99
20. Moshi Monsters Ghost Pirate Chest – Vivid. Find the Golden shipmate in the treasure chest. £8