GCHQ 'racism' tribunal settled out of court
AN Asian civil servant who was suing the Government's secretive spy base GCHQ for racial harassment has settled his claim at the 11th hour.
Alfred Bacchus was due at a London employment tribunal yesterday, but the case was cancelled after it was settled at 11pm the previous night, officials said.
Mr Bacchus's lawyer's office also confirmed the parties had settled.
Mr Bacchus, 42, was reportedly seeking £150,000 amid claims he was bullied by bosses while a senior press officer at GCHQ.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Mr Bacchus, now of Maida Vale, in London, resigned from his post in August 2011 and began his claim for race discrimination and constructive dismissal.
In papers lodged with the Central London Employment Tribunal, the claimant complained of harassment by his white bosses.
Mr Bacchus claims he faced discrimination after a new person moved into the post as head of strategic communications in March 2010.
Mr Bacchus believes that his bosses ignored his advice, sidelined him and reduced him to little more than a messenger.
He also claimed that major projects he had been working on were taken from him.
Mr Bacchus said he felt singled out and patronised as the only ethnic minority employee in the communications department when he was asked how he felt about a leaked report on racism at GCHQ.
Mr Bacchus was soon afterwards treated at hospital for anxiety and a racing heart rate, his lawyer Joe Sykes previously said, adding that Mr Bacchus was made to return to work for the same managers at the listening post in Cheltenham.
No details of the settlement were available and a GCHQ spokeswoman declined to comment.
GCHQ had previously lost an application to exclude the media from the tribunal on national security grounds.
GCHQ had wanted to keep the names secret, fearing its staff could be subject to attacks if they were made public. But a ruling was made by the tribunal in July, which meant had the tribunal proceeded, its employees would have been named.