Homes could be "ruination" of Bourton
RESIDENTS have called a plan for 148 homes the "ruination" of tourist honeypot Bourton-on-the-Water.
Villagers spoke out against Bloor Homes Western's controversial proposed estate on land off Roman Way, behind the industrial estate, at a public consultation. Their main fears were the impact on character and infrastructure.
Resident Rita Goodridge said: "It's the ruination of a site of beauty which is supposed to be the Venice of the Cotswolds – we'll be leaving nothing for our children."
Life-long resident John Finch stressed the already inadequate sewerage system would not take the strain, saying: "It was enlarged in 1968, but since then 1,000 homes have been built and it hasn't been improved."
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
Stan Lane, whose home backs onto the site, said: "The village nor the sewerage can cope with this – it's a big nightmare."
One supporter, who lives in a Bloor home at Bourton Chase, said: "The buildings' quality is excellent."
Bloor Homes Western planning manager Chris Shaw said it would improve the sewerage capacity, adding: "A lot of people want Bourton to stay as it is with no growth at all. But it's a sustainable development, will provide affordable homes and Cotswold District Council says Bourton has the facilities – employment, shops and the secondary school."
Regional managing director Steve Roberts said: "We have listened to local people in earlier public consultations and produced a revised, smaller-scale scheme for up to 148 new homes which has more green space within and around it. We're keen to continue to work with local organisations and local people to produce new homes which will meet local housing needs."
Over three public consultations the number of homes has dropped from 180.
An outline planning application was due to be submitted to Cotswold District Council today.