Hygiene failures cost Wyndham Arms £36,000
Food hygiene failures at the Wyndham Arms Hotel have cost the company more than £36,000 and the company secretary more than £7,000.
At a hearing held last week at Cheltenham Magistrates' Court, Nigel Stanley, Company Secretary, was ordered to pay fines and costs amounting to £7,250 plus a victim surcharge of £15. The Wyndham Arms Hotel Limited was ordered to pay fines and costs amounting to £36,376 plus a victim surcharge of £15.
Traditional Shave, Facial Treatment, Whisky and a Shoe Shine -...View details
Gents, enjoy a traditional shave, facial treatment, glass of whisky and a shoeshine for £31
Terms: Early and later appointments available upon request.
Contact: 01242 504887
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
The company, Wyndham Arms Hotel in Clearwell, had at an earlier hearing pleaded guilty to 16 offences and the Company Secretary to seven offences.
The offences related to a lack of cleaning affecting all parts of the premises used for food preparation (floors, walls, ceilings), failure to clean and maintain food equipment, and the business did not have an adequate food safety management system in place to ensure food was prepared safely.
Keith Leslie, Food and Safety Manager at Forest of Dean District Council said "The vast majority of the food businesses in the Forest of Dean work hard to provide safe food to their customers and the Food Safety Team are proud of the work they do to help these businesses. In this case the business fell so far short of the level expected that action needed to be taken to protect the public.
"This has been a difficult, complex case but the public can take confidence from the result which means food businesses which consistently fail to reach acceptable standards face significant punishment. Despite all our advice and warnings the defendants failed to invest in the business and improve the standards of hygiene."
In sentencing Nigel Stanley and the company Magistrates said "the fines reflected the gravity of the offences", "there had been a failure to respond to warnings over a prolonged period of time" and that "there had been systematic failures regarding food hygiene".
Cllr Martin Quaile, cabinet member for the Environment at Forest of Dean District Council said: "We are very pleased with the result of this case. This was, as always, a team effort and I am grateful to all those involved. Every member of the Food and Safety Team had an input into this case. The barrister representing us during the hearing earlier this year made a point of complimenting the team on the thorough way the case had been prepared."
To check the hygiene at your local food businesses, you can check its Food Hygiene Rating at www.food.gov.uk/ratings.