Incinerator plans are back as date is set for inquiry
INCINERATOR plans are back – and it will take 20 days for a Government inspector to decide their fate.
Proposals to build a £500million burner at Javelin Park, near Haresfield, were thrown out by Gloucestershire County Council councillors in February.
Urbaser Balfour Beatty, the firm behind the scheme, quickly announced it would appeal the decision.
Now a Government planning inspector is heading for Gloucester to decide the fate of their appeal.
Gents, come in to Earl's & Co and enjoy a haircut and finish, glass of whisky and a shoeshine for £18.50
Terms: Later and earlier appointments available upon request
Contact: 01242 504887
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
The planning inquiry will begin on November 19.
There will be 20 days of evidence to be listened to. The days will not run consecutively and the inquiry is not expected to conclude until January.
Gloucestershire County Council has been tasked with finding a venue in the county that could host the inquiry, but no details have emerged yet. The planning inquiry will have a narrow remit – the inspector will only look at the visual impact of the plans and the location of the site.
The technology, which proved controversial with campaigners, will not be open for discussion.
Next year a report will be prepared by the inspector and secretary of state Eric Pickles will make the final decision.
The energy-from-waste plant would divert more than 92 per cent of the county's waste from landfill sites whilst generating enough electricity to power 25,000 homes.
Javier Peiro, project director for Urbaser Balfour Beatty (UBB), said: "UBB welcomes the public inquiry.
"Given the recommendation of officers to approve the application, the allocation of the site within the adopted Waste Core Strategy and the clear need for the scheme, we decided to lodge an appeal with the secretary of state earlier in the year."
"Reliance on landfill is unsustainable both in terms of its environmental impact and economic cost."
Campaigners will give evidence at the inquiry in a bid to get the plans thrown out.
Campaign group Glosvain heard the news yesterday – Friday the 13th – a day considered unlucky for some.
They tweeted: "Unhappy Friday the 13th.. The Towering Incinerator is back, like a recurring nightmare."
Chairman Sue Oppenheimer previously said that the plan's refusal was like 'winning the battle, but not the war'.