Lydney nurse mixed up medication
PRESCRIPTION drugs "potted up" by a care home nurse were given to the wrong resident, a tribunal heard.
When Rodley House shift leader Christine Harris realised she had made a mistake, she threw the correct dose away, a Nursing and Midwifery Council was told.
She admitted seven charges related to the mix-up on March 5 last year, after which she was suspended by the Orders of St John Care Trust home in Harrison Way, Lydney.
A charge of leaving medication unattended with a resident was proved.
Gents, come in to Earl's & Co and enjoy a haircut and finish, glass of whisky and a shoeshine for £18.50
Terms: Later and earlier appointments available upon request
Contact: 01242 504887
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
She was the only registered nurse on duty and was doing the daily medication round when an operations manager found four pots of drugs unattended on the medication trolley, while residents were there, the conduct and competence committee heard.
The manager told her that was against trust policy and after asking her to identify the drugs, allowed her to carry on.
But she gave resident B's medication to resident A, then left resident A's drugs unattended.
She asked an untrained worker to administer medication to resident A, then realised she had made a mistake so threw away resident A's medication.
She reported her mistake after she was suspended and sent home.
She does not intend to work as a nurse again.
"The panel concluded that your actions in 'potting up', and allowing the incorrect medication to be administered to a patient, did put this patient at unwarranted risk of harm," the committee said in a statement.
"Although there is no evidence of any actual patient harm on this occasion, the panel considered that your behaviour constituted a real risk of harm to patients.
"The panel concluded that your actions, in attempting to conceal your medication error, amounted to a breach of fundamental tenets of the profession, in that, under pressure you demonstrated that your integrity could not be relied on."
It noted her "expressions of considerable remorse".
An Orders of St John spokeswoman said it reported the incident to the NMC.
"The safety and wellbeing of our residents is our most important priority and we always strive to ensure that those individuals entrusted with their care maintain the highest possible standards," she said.
"To that end, we have put in place robust policies and procedures to handle any shortcomings which may occur."
Mrs Harris declined to comment.