Man hospitalised after Stroud flat fire
A MAN is recovering in hospital today after escaping a flat fire in Stroud.
Police are investigating the circumstances of the blaze at a top floor flat in Allen Drive, Paganhill.
Emergency services were called at around 4.30pm on Saturday after reports of a fire alarm sounding and smoke from the flat.
The 56-year-old occupier suffered burns to his arm and chest and was taken by ambulance to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, where he remains.
Sunday and Monday evenings £12.00 per head for an all inclusive meal with Indian and Thai cuisine (normal price £14.50).
Bring this voucher to the restaurant complete with your name and email address on it.
Terms: Expires 31st July
Contact: 01452 223782
Valid until: Wednesday, July 31 2013
Police are waiting to speak to him about the incident and have not ruled out that it was started deliberately.
Fire crews from Stroud, Nailsworth and Painswick attended, blocking the road off to all but emergency vehicles while they dealt with the situation.
No-one else was injured, with limited smoke damage to surrounding homes.
The nearest neighbour to the flat was out at the time but the woman living downstairs called the fire service. Witnesses said the alarm was sounding for around half an hour before the emergency services were notified, who were praised for their response.
One neighbour, who lives nearby but did not want to be named described the situation as 'hectic'.
"When I saw the flashing lights coming through my window I knew something was wrong," he said.
"I went out to see what was going on and there was a fire engine blocking the road off, stopping cars from coming up Allen Drive.
"I could see the man being tended to by paramedics and his arm looked badly burned, I just hope he is okay. The police were there also, but I'm not sure why.
"I'm just glad the fire didn't spread, it could have been a lot worse."
Gloucestershire police duty Inspector Sarah Johnson said: "We have not questioned the man at this time and believe it was just one male in the property at the time of the fire."