Mum's warning following son's death from suspected "bad batch of ecstasy"
THE heartbroken mum of a man who died after taking a drug from a suspected "bad batch" hopes the tragedy will help others avoid their agony.
Drug rehabilitation worker Pauline Bonnie's son Nick died in hospital after falling ill at the Warehouse Project club in Manchester.
Four of his friends also fell ill but have recovered.
A statement from the club said they had been told by police there may be a bad batch of ecstasy in circulation.
Take advantage of this fantastic offer to sell your property for a fee of just 1% + VAT until February 2014.
Terms: Minimum fee £1250 + VAT. Based on a sole agency agreement.
Contact: 01242 460702
Valid until: Friday, January 31 2014
"Nick was known by many as having a big heart, big personality and the most infectious smile in Stroud," she said.
"He lost his life tragically, senselessly and needlessly on a lads' weekend.
"This has devastated the lives of us, his two brothers Thomas and Ryan, and his beautiful devoted girlfriend Leah.
"Everyone who knew Nick is aware he loved life, lived it to the max and, in making this one stupid mistake, it has cost him his life.
"We hope we may have gone some way in helping in the realisation that drinking and use of any illicit drugs are a killer with consequences that will devastate lives forever.
"Our lives and all those who were blessed to share part of his, are broken.
"Our life will never be the same without Nick and he will never be forgotten."
She told the Citizen Nick was not a drug user.
"He took this recreational drug but it was out of character," she said. "He has paid the price for having a dabble – there are consequences to taking drugs."
Yesterday police were examining a powdered substance handed over by Nick's friends to establish what drug it is.
Greater Manchester Police officers suspect it may have come from a "bad batch" of the drug, which is sometimes cut with dangerous chemicals.
Officers said yesterday it was understood Nick and his friends bought the drug at the nightclub.
A sixth unconnected clubber was also taken to hospital that night.
Chief Superintendent Mark Roberts said yesterday: "The worrying thing is you have one person dead and four of his friends fall ill as well as another who is seriously ill. These substances have come from different sources."
A statement on the club's website said: "The Warehouse Project are assisting the police with their ongoing enquiries surrounding the circumstances of the man's death.
"They have suggested that there may have been a bad batch of ecstasy in circulation."
Nick died at Manchester Royal Infirmary at 4.30am on Saturday.
Originally from King's Stanley, he had moved to Bristol with his partner Leah Wilkins.
He attended Marling School, before heading on a gap year trip to Australia, earning a degree at Plymouth University, and working for a solicitors firm in Stroud.
He then found his vocation in life with The Prince's Trust.
He played football for King's Stanley youth, Leonard Stanley under 18s, Brimscombe & Thrupp, then Cashes Green.
He followed Liverpool FC and last week completed the Tough Mudder challenge for Help for Heroes.
Mrs Bonnie thanked the hundreds of people who had sent messages of condolence and support.