Nick Bonnie dies and five hospitalised 'after taking bad ecstasy'
A man from Stroud has died after collapsing at a Manchester nightclub.
Police are investigating after Nick Bonnie died and five other people were admitted to hospital feeling unwell after taking a controlled drug.
Officers were called to Manchester Royal Infirmary at 4.30am on Saturday after the 30-year-old died.
Nick, originally from King's Stanley, lived in Bristol with his partner Leah Wilkins. Family and friends have descended on the family home to share their memories of the former Cashes Green FC player, who worked for the Princes Trust.
Bring a friend to Yoga with Evelyn at 8pm on Wednesdays, and get...View details
Bring a friend to Evelyn’s “Yoga” class on Wednesdays at 8-9pm, and get your class half for only £3. Offer open to non-members. Contact Natasha on 07958 520042 for details.
Terms: Class running at Fitness4Less, Grosvenor terrace. Non-members welcome.
Valid until: Friday, January 31 2014
All six attended the Warehouse Project on Trafford Wharf Road on Friday night, and are understood to have headed there from Stroud.
Today his mum Pauline said Nick was not a drug user and hoped his death would help save others from going through the pain her family is.
"Nick was known by many as having a big heart, big personality and the most infectious smile in Stroud," she said. "He lost his life tragically, senselessly and needlessly in a nightclub in Manchester on a "lads" weekend. This has devastated the lives of us, his two brothers Thomas and Ryan, and his beautiful devoted girlfriend, Leah.
"Everyone who knew Nick are aware he loved life, lived it to the max, and in making this one stupid mistake, it has cost him his life.
"We hope after reading this, we may have gone some way in helping in the realisation that drinking and use of any illicit drugs are a killer with consequences that will devastate lives forever."
She thanked the hundreds of people who had sent messages of condolence and support.
Detective Inspector Aaron Duggan said: “First and foremost, our thoughts go out to the family of this young man following this tragedy.
“We have now launched an investigation to establish the circumstances leading up to his death.
“It is possible that there may a particularly bad batch of drugs out there in the community and that is a concern to us.
"I would always urge people not to take illegal drugs and remind them that you do not know what they have been made up with. They can contain poisons and illicit chemicals that can have potentially fatal effects.”
A statement on the Warehouse Project website said: "Unfortunately last night a man was taken ill at The Warehouse Project and died in hospital this morning. Everyone at The Warehouse Project are devastated about the news and our condolences are with his family.
"The Warehouse Project are assisting the police with their ongoing enquiries surrounding the circumstances of the man’s death. They have suggested that there may have been a bad batch of ecstasy in circulation as others who attended last nights event are also unwell. While these people are whilst in no danger, some are still being treated.
"The Warehouse Project operates a zero tolerance policy with regards to drugs. However if you have taken something and start to feel unwell please tell a member of staff.
"There is a team of trained medics on site every night, and you will be treated on the premises initially.
"Please don’t wait to get help. Tell someone as soon as you can. Alert a member of bar staff or security who can notify the medical team who are always there to help.
"Likewise if you see someone who looks like they need help, please let a staff member know as soon as possible."
It was the opening night of the three-month long series of nights at the venue.
Anyone with information should phone police on 0161 856 7655 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.