Tom George says it's time for stable-star Nacarat to bow out
Tom George has brought the curtain down on the outstanding career of his long-time stable star Nacarat.
The Slad trainer said the time was right for the 12-year-old to bow out after he failed in his attempt to make racing history in the feature race at Kempton on Saturday, the Racing Plus Chase.
Nacarat was bidding to become the first horse to win the big race three times, following his past successes in 2009 and last year, but he lost ground under Paddy Brennan after making a jumping error and finished last of the 12 horses to complete the course.
George said it was obvious that the grey gelding, who is now virtually white, wasn't the force of old and shouldn't race again.
Dyson DC50i - Bagless upright vacuum cleaner - BALL Technology -...View details
Thisi is Dyson's smallest upright vacuum cleaner with the performance of a full size upright machine. The DC50i has Dyson's most advanced cleaner head technology and 2 Tier RadialTM cyclones.
Terms: LIMITED STOCK OFFER. FREE delivery to most UK postcodes - Next working day dispatch.
Contact: 01664 491439
Valid until: Monday, May 27 2013
"That's it for him," he said. "The mistake he made on the first circuit was the first like that of his life. He was telling us he has had had enough."
Previously trained in France, Nacarat's eye-catching colour, talent and his flamboyant style of jumping made him popular with racing fans throughout Britain during a career in which he won nine of his 38 races and earned £486,882 in prize-money.
On Saturday, Nacarat finished one place behind the David Bridgwater-trained favourite Wyck Hill, who had been bought only days previously by leading owner JP McManus ahead of a possible crack at the John Smith's Grand National at Aintree in April.
Wyck Hill never seemed to be travelling well under champion jockey AP McCoy and faded out of contention with five fences to jump, with victory going to the Noel Fehily-ridden Opening Batsman, trained by Harry Fry.