Out-of-control fire damages home in Leckhampton
FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house in Leckhampton after an open fire spread beyond control.
The windows of the front room in Church Road burst from pressure from the blaze, scattering glass all over the front garden.
And yesterday, a burnt out sofa and car were left on the home's driveway.
Fire crews from Cheltenham East and Cheltenham West fire stations were called to the scene at around 2am after the fire spread across a home's lounge, wrecking everything in its path.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
No residents were injured in the fire after the smoke alarm was triggered and the residents were able to escape the blaze.
The fire service confirmed the family dog had also escaped next door before it could come to any harm.
Next door neighbour Carole Townsend said she woke up at 3am after hearing the commotion outside.
She said: "I could smell something burning and smoke.
"I came downstairs to make sure everything was all right, and then I saw the fire brigade. I hope no one is injured and everyone's okay."
Watch commander Russell Parker, who attended the fire, said the residents managed to make a "swift and safe exit". The fire service confirmed the cause of the fire.
They said it was left unguarded and was too close to a galvanised metal bucket. It acted as a conductor, and caught fire. Neighbour Nicola Gallagher said her family had been woken up by the smoke alarms.
She said: "We didn't really see the fire, but we heard their smoke alarms. It's a good job they have got their smoke alarms fitted."
She added that firefighters had put leaflets through their doors warning them about the dangers of fires.
Chris Spencer, station commander at Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service headquarters, urged people to be careful when dealing with open fires.
He said: "If people are not using the heating and using an open fire, they have to make sure they put it out properly.
"Make sure it's totally out by using a damp cloth.
"Put up the flame guard and that will prevent sparks from coming out from the fire and setting anything alight."