Ten things to do in Gloucestershire this weekend - August 16-18
There is plenty to entertain this weekend. We have come up with our top 10 suggestions.
1. It's a weekend for action, and mountainboarders from all over the country will be descending on Bugsboarding Mountainboard Centre in Maisemore to complete in the UK Mountainboard Series. Put on a warm jumper, grab a drink and enjoy the spectacle. From 9am Saturday and Sunday.
Bugsboarding will be open again this year for the school holidays. Starting this Tuesday , Wednesday and Thursday . Each week we will be closing on Mondays and Fridays so make sure your booked up for the other days or on the weekend. The hill is dry and fast at the moment so don't miss out.
Traditional Shave, Facial Treatment, Whisky and a Shoe Shine -...View details
Gents, enjoy a traditional shave, facial treatment, glass of whisky and a shoeshine for £31
Terms: Early and later appointments available upon request.
Contact: 01242 504887
Valid until: Tuesday, December 31 2013
2. Got little ones? It's worth enjoying a Day Out With Thomas at Dean Forest Railway.
Thomas the Tank Engine TM is returning to the Dean Forest Railway at the end of the week for our Day Out With Thomas on Friday 16th, Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th August. ... We have some great ideas, available by post or to browse and collect from our shop.
3. Inspired by the mountainboarding but want to try some adrenaline sports of your own. How about water walking or fly-boarding (that's water skiing but being thrown up in the air as well), and the UK's biggest bungee jump. Head to The National Diving and Activity Centre.
4. If the extreme sports are a bit too much, how about trying your hand at Olympics with a difference. Frampton-on-Severn is holding its vegetable olympics. It's your chance to see how you could fare at javelin - only you would be trying it with a carrot.
5. Whoever knew there was such much to learn about chillis. There is a whole event dedicated to them.
Find chilli festivals, fiestas, events hottest chillies in the World, chilli hot peppers, spicy food, chilli sauce & hot peper at Chili Festival 2013
6. Love classic cars? There will be plenty on show at Tewkesbury classic car show.
The Rotary Club of Tewesbury - Classic Vehicle Festival. Great fun day out with over 200 Classic Cars and Motorbikes, Enjoy the day, good food and drink and raise money for charity.
7. Had a long week and just want to chill out? Head to the cinema. 2 Guns was released on Friday and sees Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg saving the world as undercover agents.
8. We recommend trying somewhere new to eat. The Parrot Bar and Grill in North Place, Cheltenham, is often overlooked, but it's an amazing steak house and does lovely seafood as well.
9. Dull and rainy weather means it's tempting to curl up with a good book. No Man's Nightingale by Ruth Rendell was released this week. It's the latest in the Inspector Wexford series.
10. When the weather's dull, we sometimes crave a little comfort food. Mary Berry makes a great treacle tart you can try out.
Treacle tart is made with golden syrup, breadcrumbs and lemon to cut through the sweetness. Serve with crème fraiche. Ingredients Preparation method First make the short crust pastry: measure the flour into a large bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (alternatively, this can be done in a food processor).