More than a thousand birds die at farm blaze
Partridges died in a gas cylinder fire at a rearing farm in the Cotswolds this morning.
The blaze killed more than 1,500 of the birds in the village of Aston Subedge near Chipping Campden.
Firefighters were called to the farm at 6.30am this morning where the found 10 propane cylinders on fire in the middle of the field.
It is thought a cylinder, used to heat one of eight small sheds housing the young birds, may have overheated or come loose from its fittings and started the fire, which quickly spread to the other cylinders nearby.
Crews from Chipping Campden and Moreton-in-Marsh were at the scene for two hours.
A spokesman for Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews arrived to find 10 propane cylinders on fire in the middle of a partridge rearing farm.
“Firefighters used two jets to extinguish the blaze, unfortunately approximately 1500 partridges perished in the fire.”
The birds were being reared for sale and the farm had recently had around 5,000 new arrivals to its stock.
Chief Fire Officer Jon Hall said: “This was an unfortunate but devastating fire, which has resulted in significant loss for this farm.
"We would urge commercial premises to be very careful when storing propane gas cylinders and regularly check fixtures and fittings to prevent the worst from happening.”
Councillor Will Windsor-Clive, cabinet member for fire, planning and infrastructure, said: “Propane gas cylinders have to be handled very carefully, especially in a busy farm environment such as this one.
"This would appear to be a very unfortunate accident and my sympathy goes out to the farmer.”